Experience. Commitment. Results.
The business owner's attorney for divorce and business-related litigation.®
Trial lawyer Jersey Green has more than three and a half decades of experience. He is a commercial litigator and family law attorney recognized by Super Lawyers® and peer-selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®. Mr. Green is Colorado's first board certified family law trial attorney by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, an organization accredited by the American Bar Association. He is a member of the Order of the Barristers, and listed in Who's Who in American Law, Who's Who in America, and Who's Who in the West. He is a recipient of the 2017 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award for career longevity and demonstrated unwavering excellence in his chosen field.
He has been admitted to practice of law in Colorado and Wyoming and before the United States District Court for the District of Colorado; the United States District Court for the District of Wyoming; the United States District Court for the District of Arizona,1994-1999; the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit; the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit; the United States Tax Court; and the United States Supreme Court. He has also been specially admitted to represent clients in court cases in Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Montana, Nevada, New York, and Pennsylvania.
Mr. Green earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in criminology from the University of Maryland and his law degree from Syracuse University. Mr. Green was selected by the faculty of the Syracuse University, College of Law, to serve as a member of the school's national trial team and was trained specifically to be a trial lawyer. He competed in mock trial competitions at both the regional and national level. Among his achievements, he was awarded the New York State Bar Association Best Trial Advocate Award (1983), New York State Bar Association Tiffany Cup Award for Superior Achievement in Advocacy (1982), National Mock Trial Championship Second Place (1982), the National Mock Trial Champion Quarter-Finalist (1983), the Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Medal for Excellence in Advocacy (1982 and 1983), the Syracuse Defense Group Scholarship Award (1983), and the Moot Court Team Award for Outstanding Contribution (1983).
A former detective, Mr. Green is detailed, intuitive, and artful in his case preparation and trial presentation. He began his career as a lawyer involved in complex litigation matters in cases concerning white collar criminal defense, securities fraud, medical malpractice, product liability, business litigation, and personal injury. His case portfolio often includes cases involving construction, real estate, trusts and estates, and other complex matters. Because of the nature of the firm's clientele, Mr. Green also handles a substantial number of employment related cases and has a special interest in employment discrimination, trade secrets, and covenants not to compete. In the representation of his clients, Mr. Green is able to draw upon many skill sets because of his diverse litigation experience as well as the judgment and wisdom, which come from such varied experience.
Mr. Green is the co-author of "Do the New Overtime Rules Affect You? A Review of the Fair Labor Standards Act," 39 Wyoming Lawyer 4, 2016 and "Preserving the Disabled Plaintiff's Access to Public Benefits with the Special Needs Trust," 25 The Colorado Lawyer 49, 1996. He also authored "Demonstrative Trial Technique: The Introduction of Illustrative Exhibits," 14 Trial Diplomacy Journal 65, 1991, and "The Imposition of Vicarious Liability Through Joint Venture Theory," 39 Trial Talk 168, 1990. He also served as the editor of the firm's electronic mailer, The Employer's Advisory. Examples of Mr. Green's courtroom abilities were published in Handling Accident Cases and appear in our website articles "Psychological Effect of Facial Injuries On Teen-Aged Girl" and "Injuries About the Head and Face". Mr. Green is a member of the Arapahoe County and Colorado Bar Associations and the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. Green holds an "AV" rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory which is based on the publisher's confidential surveys of attorneys and judges practicing in the Denver metropolitan area. An "AV" rating is the highest rating conferred by the publisher.
Mr. Green is a multiple recipient of the Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award based on positive client feedback in recognition of his excellence in quality of service, overall value, responsiveness, and communication ability. More than 900,000 attorneys are listed on martindale.com and lawyers.com, but less than one percent have been accorded this honor of distinction. In 2015, 2016, and 2017 Mr. Green was also selected by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys for its "10 Best" list based on client satisfaction.
In his free time, Mr. Green is an avid outdoorsman who enjoys hunting, skiing, and staying fit. He is a Life Member of the National Rifle Association. He is married to former Miss Colorado, Catherine Kasch, who trains opera and Broadway singers at the University of Denver's Lamont School of Music. They have five children.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Colorado does not certify lawyers as specialists in any field
- Colorado, 1983
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1988
- Syracuse University College of Law, Syracuse, New York
- J.D. - 1983
- Honors: Order of the Barristers
- University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
- B.A. - 1976
- In re Marriage of Somo, WL 5836240 , 2013, Colo. App.
- Grynberg v. Phillips, 148 P.3d 446 , 2006, Colo. App.
- Al's Loan Office v. CSN Group, LLC,, WL 1216269 , 2004, Colo. App.
- Attorney's Title and Guaranty Fund, Inc. v. Brinkerhoff, WL 1493595, Colo. App. 2006
- In re Marriage of King, WL 1772731, 2002, Colo. App.
- Lackner v. King, 972 P.2d 690, 1998, Colo. App.
- Lagae v. Lackner, 996 P.2d 1281, Colo. 2000)(en banc
- A.B. Hirschfeld Press, Inc. v. Weston Group, Inc., 824 P.2d 44, 1992, Colo. App.
- Weston Group, Inc. v. A.B. Hirschfeld Press, Inc., 845 P.2d 1162, Colo. 1993)(en banc
- United States v. Rowlee, 899 F.2d 1275, 1990, 2nd Cir.
- Cressy v. Sophocles, 692 P.2d 1079, 1984, Colo.
- Co-Presenter, How the Tax Law Change Affects Maintenance and Other Issues in Divorce, Arapahoe County Bar Association, 06/21/2018 to 06/21/2018
- Co-Presenter, Nuts and Bolts of Depositions, Arapahoe County Bar Association, 11/03/2017 to 11/03/2017
- Lecturer, Prenuptial Agreements: Best Practices, Rocky Mountain Estate Planning Council, 09/06/2017 to 09/06/2017
- Lecturer, Prenup Agreements: Avoiding the Top Mistakes, NBI National Webinar, 06/21/2017 to 06/21/2017
- Lecturer, Top Attorney Mistakes in Prenuptial Agreements, NBI National Webinar, 08/31/2016 to 08/31/2016
Honors and Awards
- New York State Bar Association Best Trial Advocate Award (1983)
- New York State Bar Association Tiffany Cup Award for Superior Achievement in Advocacy (1982)
- National Mock Trial Championship Second Place Team (1982)
- National Mock Trial Champion Quarter-Finalist Team (1983)
- Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Medal for Excellence in Advocacy (1982 and 1983)
- Syracuse Defense Group Scholarship Award (1983)
- Moot Court Team Award for Outstanding Contribution (1983)
- Who’s Who in America
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Who’s Who in the West
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Syracuse Alumni Club of Colorado, President, 00/1986 to 00/1988